ABOUT FIGLIA – COOKING CLASSES FOR CHILDREN
The word Figlia in Italian translates to “daughter” – and in short, my daughter is the inspiration that drives my passion for young culinary education. I am a mother of two and my children and I have been having fun cooking together ever since they were little.
As my daughter’s interest and love for food grew, I was inspired to begin teaching cooking classes for children. Through these classes and other continuing education, my daughter followed her newfound passion and bravely applied for and was chosen to compete on Food Network’s “Chopped Jr.” TV show.
Her passion and courage continue to move me to work with kids, exploring new foods, learning about healthy eating and encouraging life-long skills.
The curriculum will include a mix of creative recipes, both savory and sweet, promoting a fun environment to learn, grow and gain confidence, while practicing cooking and baking techniques, fundamentals and beyond.
The Figlia classes are unique in that the experience is very hands-on, with each young chef individually practicing each skill taught in class and the recipes are dishes that any adult would love to throw a dinner party with! They are more complex than just “topping pizzas” or “making sundaes” – who says kids can’t cook amazing dishes too?
Quite simply, I love to cook and enjoy sharing this love with children! Along with you, I will love watching your budding chef grow, as they will be able to re-create the recipes at home, learn life skills and demonstrate healthy eating, while having FUN!
Example Classes Previously Taught:
- Pasta Party! Homemade Pasta with Fresh Marinara and Handmade Ricotta Cheese
- Chopped Jr Competition: Stir up your own creative dishes in teams during two rounds of competition using mystery basket ingredients – just like the show!
- Cupcake Wars: Compete in individual and team competitions, making and decorating cupcakes
- Comfort Food: Homemade Chicken Pot Pies & Molten Chocolate Ganache Cakes
- Tailgating Time! White Bean Chicken Chili with Toasted Cumin Crema & Loaded Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Falling in Love with Fall! Butternut Squash Stuffed Peppers & Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Celebrating Kate’s appearance on Food Network’s Chopped Jr.! Kate’s Roasted Poblano Chicken Tomatillo Enchiladas, Fire Roasted Salsa & Creamy Guacamole
- A Tale of Two Soups: Winter Minestrone & Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Sage and Chipotle Sour Cream
- Crepes Party: Make your own crepes and yummy crepe fillings
- Holiday Dinner: Lemon Pepper Pork Tenderloin, Rosemary Polenta & Southern Black Eyed Peas
- Holiday Appetizers: Christmas Holly Ricotta Flatbread with Arugula & Pomegranate, Rosemary & Cranberry Homemade Biscuits with Fig Jam, Prosciutto & Goat Cheese, Balsamic Cranberry & Brie Crostinis & Grinch Santa Fruit Kabobs
- Christmas Brunch: Make-ahead Maple French Toast Casserole & Crab and Born Bisque
- Holiday Baking: Lemon Pound Cakes & Cut Out Shortbread Cookies
- Braised Short Ribs with Jalapeno Pepper Cheese Grits
- Sesame Ginger Chicken with Fried Rice & Cilantro Dressing & Hoisin Sweet Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Better Food Choices: Cauliflower Stir Fried “Rice,” Spaghetti Squash with Marinara, Cauliflower “Wings”, Zucchini Brownies, Mushroom Sliders
- Homemade Tortillas and Chicken Tortilla Soup